I've closed on my new house and moved in 2 weeks ago last Thursday. It's hard to believe it's already been 2 weeks.
The house was owned by the same woman for 25-30 years who is now in a nursing home (sounds like she is in her 90's and has dementia now). The daughter gutted and updated the kitchen & bath, cleaned up the basement, refinished the hardwood floors & had it painted nice neutral colors. The main thing I need to do is to get someone in here who can help me with better closet configuration. The master bedroom closet has one short rod on the side of the closet and two-thirds of the closet is empty space. There are plenty of other little to-do's, but that seems to be the highest priority right now.
I'm still working on unpacking. It's hard to figure out where I want to put everything. I have less closets (and they aren't configured well) than I did in my apartment & a smaller main bathroom (go figure), so I am still trying to figure out where to put things.Bailey seems to be adjusting well. Sometimes she gets a bit vocal, but not like she was the first night when she started talking at 4:30am and didn't stop until about 7:30am. I was exhausted and really wanted to sleep in, needless to say I think I finally got up around 5:30. To counter her early morning meowing, I went to bed Saturday night (2 days after the move) at 7:30pm and slept till 6:30am. I felt like a new person when I woke up and didn't mind that Bailey was doing her morning wake up call!
Without knowing it, I picked a great house for gardening. I saw the house on Sunday, went back to the house on Monday (an inch or two of snow on the ground both days), put in my offer and my offer was accepted with a little negotiation on Tuesday. We did the inspection 2 days after my offer was accepted which was also 2 days after the 2 feet of snow we received with the blizzard. I couldn't see the yard at all.
The previous owner has tons of perennials planted, a few crocuses, a clump of daffodils, hostas and ferns, and a lot of things I am still trying to identify. I think I have hyacinth coming up, and I was told there are peonies. I think there are geraniums and there are 2 or 3 types of plants that are planted all over, but I haven't figured out what they are yet (going to have to dig through my gardening books to see if I can get any ideas - one might be the peonies). I think I found the bleeding heart today. There at least 5-6 roses, 2-3 lilacs, a forsythia, and a couple other bushes I haven't figured out yet. Apparently one of the roses is an edible rose and the seller & her daughter used to make Rose Jam out of the leaves.
The yard/grass needs some work, I see dandelions, creeping charlie, and clover. I borrowed my neighbor's weed killer today and sprayed the weeds in the grass that I am seeing right now. Need to get to the store and get some of my own. Dad got me a reel mower for my birthday & house warming, so I'm all set for mowing the yard and I think it will only take about 15-20 min to complete. Although, I am tempted to hire someone to do the grass and get it back into top shape this year, while I take care of the garden.
Hopefully everyone can come to Chicago for a visit!
What a great house! Now, you need to take some inside pictures so we can see the rooms. Sounds like you have your summer work cut out for you, working in your flowers. Sounds like you have some of everything any of us would plant. I have some jonquils blooming and tulips budded. Don't have forsythia anymore but they are in full bloom everywhere and were never prettier than they are this spring.I think grandpa is going to do some mowing today while I am gone to quilting.
ReplyDeleteI sent your birthday card to your old address, Erin, as I didn't realize you were moving so soon. Hope it caught up with you.
Hope everyone is doing well.
Hi Grandma - I did get my card, it came a day or so after the move while I was still receiving mail at my apartment. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteHere's my new address: 1837 N 77th Ave, Elmwood Park, IL 60707
Sounds like Iowa had some nice warm weather today, hopefully you were able to enjoy some time outside today :)