Thursday, October 6, 2011

Nina





I just realized my post from last week wasn't published, so I just published it now.



I brought Nina home on Thursday and she is doing very well.


She and Bailey are getting along great.



She loves squirrels. She stayed in this position for about 2 min watching the squirrel come down the tree.


Here are some additional pics of her since coming home.




We went to the vet today for her first visit - she weighs 78 lbs, which is her ideal weight. She was 64 lbs when she was rescued around 8/15. I'll be reducing her food down by a cup to maintain. We talked about the # of calories treats can add and how to use treats but to break them up into pea size chunks to use throughout the day rather than a whole treat each time.
She's definitely had at least one litter of puppies.
The dr thinks she is a mix of some sort with Great Pyrenees given her size (not as large as a GP), although as I read about GP's she fits with the descriptions of the females. She has mild anxiety, but the dr thinks that's a good thing. I just need to work with her so she doesn't end up with separation anxiety, which I expected.
I signed her up for a "Welcome Home" dog training class that starts this Sat (lucky!) and runs through the weekend before Thanksgiving. The training company is actually behind the vet, so it's very easy to get to. Here's the description of the class:
"Did you just adopt an adult dog? Or is this your dog's fifth home in five months? Based on our extensive experience and knowledge of shelter dog behavior, we created this class to meet the needs of re-homes and rescued dogs 8 months old and up. We will work on basic handling and obedience skills to encourage good canine manners and facilitate communication and trust."






















1 comment: