Wednesday, June 23, 2010

solving the mystery...

So, you got the researcher in me working on the whole newspaper article with Grandpa Lafe in it, Erin and Grandma!

Here's the scoop: The publication you found, Erin, is called "The Billboard: amusement weekly." Billboard started in 1894 in Cincinnati as a weekly periodical covering amusement parks, carnivals, fairs, vaudeville, burlesque shows, etc. Throughout the early- and mid-2oth C., the paper primarly covered local carnivals and fairs around the country, hence the article about Grandpa Lafe becoming the chair of the Wayne County Fair Board.

Interestingly, after Rock and Roll transformed the music industry in the 1950s and popular music moved away from the vaudeville & traveling show tradition, Billboard split into two main strands: "Amusement Business" and "Billboard," as in THE Billboard magazine with the Top 100, etc.

So, one our our relatives has been discussed in Billboard magazine! Who would have thought!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love it, Heather! Dad, of all people. It is all very interesting. Erin will have to tell us how she ran across the article in the first place. He was involved in the Wayne County Fair for quite a few years, I think. That would have been after Harold and I were done with 4-H. Thanks for your input Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Heather! Dad of all people. Erin will have to fill us in on how she came across the article in the first place. He was involved in the Wayne County Fair for several years, I think. That would have been after Harold and I were done with 4-H. Thanks for your input Heather.

    ReplyDelete