Sunday, April 18, 2010

Retirement plans

Hi all---

I hope everyone else had the same great week-end weather that we had. We went to our favorite greenhouse/garden center (Piney Ridge) on Fri. and exhibited great self-restraint. We only bought potting soil and herbs; it's too early for flowers here. But it was tough!

I'm planning to retire from Penn Ave Int Med in mid-May. I'll have quite a bit of paper/computer work to do for a couple of weeks after that--but I'll be done seeing pts.
It's been a little difficult seeing some of the pts that I've been caring for for over 10 yrs for the last time and figuring out who they're going to see in the future.
Esp. the guy who's now 91 y.o. and followed me to PAIM from the VA. I've also been seeing his wife for the past few yrs and she's always told me that I couldn't retire as long as they're alive. But she also had lots of travel advice once she knew that I was really quitting.
And the 97 y.o. sharp-as-a-tack but quite hard-of-hearing woman who always gives me a hug. She went w/ her grandkids/great-grandkids to Adventureland last June and rode the rollercoaster. The yr before, she went on a Carribean cruise w/ her family and had her picture taken w/ the Elvis impersonator. Amazing!! Her daugher-in-law's advice was--'don't overcommit yourself or you'll work harder than ever'.
Hhmmm----

So--We're looking forward to going to WrightPlus in May, Wisonsin (taking Seamie camping in the trailer) in June, Seamie/Esme-sitting in July, Norah-sitting in Nov, maybe South Dakota in Sept-----

I'm going to continue going to Principal every week; Dave will keep going to the VA every week and doing some Broadlawns call--I'm just not going to see pts, make all those decisions, or do all that documentation.

Love, Becky

6 comments:

  1. Thanks. Looking forward to seeing you the following week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should know that you can't keep secrets, Becky. When Dad went for his pre-op physical, I also saw Alley Brahmer for a urinary problem, and she told me you were retiring. I must have looked surprised because she said she had gotten a letter about it. Sounds like you have enough planned to keep you busy for awhile, anyway.
    We are trying to get some things done this week before the surgery next week. Be so glad when it is behind us.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew a letter went out to my pts. I honestly didn't know it went to anyone else. Frankly, I'd be happy to sneak out and have everyone realize 2 months later that I'm gone. It's just my nature (right, Erin?).

    Yes, even people who haven't been in for 18 months are mildly panicked and coming to the office in droves. I've been trying to send anyone who lives west of downtown to Ailey. We couldn't convince her to join our group so I'm still trying to inundate her w/ pts--gently :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Becky. Much deserved and I know you and Dave will enjoy the time to travel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ailey told me she IS your patient. She told me that the first time I saw her and she said the other day that you are her doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooopps! I kind of forgot that! I haven't seen her since she went to the dark side (IHP).

    ReplyDelete